Our guest bathroom used to be yellow and navy and I had a hard time finding a wastebasket that I liked. I finally picked up a plain white plastic one for about $3 or $4 dollars and called it a day. The bathroom is now decorated in earth tones and I really wanted to replace the white waste basket.
I love natural fibers and fabrics…burlap, jute, linens, etc. I really liked the idea of a natural fiber basket, but I didn’t like the price. I decided I could figure out a way to update the one I had. Here’s a picture of the plastic wastebasket before I transformed it.
I decided that I would wrap it in jute, but I didn’t want any of the white showing. I gave it a quick coat of oil rubbed bronze spray paint. I gave the inside a few light coats, but only gave the outside one coat. It didn’t need to be thoroughly covered.
I started wrapping it from the bottom…adding about a six inch strip of hot glue at a time. The glue dried very quickly on the plastic, so I had to work fast.
About 45 minutes into the project, I was wishing I had used thick rope instead of twine!!
I persevered…gluing and wrapping, gluing and wrapping. It took about an hour and a half, but it was so worth it! I love how it turned out. In hindsight, I would have started wrapping at the top. It wasn’t quite even when I got to the top, so it was difficult to get it all covered without overlapping.
I used nearly an entire ball of twine and about 4 glue sticks. The total cost of the project was about $8. Not bad considering most of the baskets that I liked were $15 or so, and I already had everything I needed to complete the project.
I hope ya’ll have a wonderful week!! I’ll be back tomorrow with a new recipe!Pin It